I went to the meeting last week. Paul went to the meeting too but we did not see each other. Paul went home at 10 and I arrived at 10.30 o'clock. Then: When I arrived at the meeting, Paul was not there. He had gone home.
- I arrived at the meeting.
Este é o ponto inicial da estória, assim se quisermos falar sobre algo que aconteceu antes desse tempo, usamos o past perfect:
- When I arrived at the meeting, Paulo had already gone home.
Had done(past perfect) é o passado do have done(present perfect). Compare abaixo:
- Who is the girl? I have never seen her before
- We are not hungry. We have just had lunch.
- I did not know who she was. I had never seen her before.
- We were not hungry. We had just had lunch.
That's all for now folks. See you...