segunda-feira, 7 de maio de 2007

Good X Well

Hi there,

that's what comes up when we have to use good or well.

It seems like something simple but it can lead us into some bit confusion at times.

So, remember that good is an adjective and well an adverb then we'll have something like this:

  • Your English is good but You speak English well.
  • Mark is a good driver but He drives the car well.

We use well (not good) with past participle(paid, educated etc.):

  • well-paid well-educated well-dressed well-known

Now, we can use well as an adjective with the meaning in good health:

  • How are you today? I'm very well, thanks(not "I'm very good")

By the way, let me tell you something before leaving. I was watching a movie last night(it was not the best one) and I heard the following expression:

  • Hold your horses. It means be patient and wait.

Well, hold your horses and until the next post.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

  ©Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO  

BlogBlogs.Com.Br